The majority would agree that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, right? So why do so many people stuff themselves with sugary cereal every morning? Improper nutritional education has taught us that a light breakfast is a healthy one, but studies have found that morning is the time of the day when we should eat fatty, protein, and calorie-rich foods such as eggs. This provides us with good sustenance, takes our minds off of food, and lets us focus on our daily tasks.
Getting creative with breakfast might get hard and our mission today is to inspire you with a traditional Mexican recipe. We will be talking about how to make chorizo and eggs, why you should do it, as well as some interesting facts about this dish. So grab your pans and read carefully because this will be a good one!
What Is Chorizo?
If you’ve been unlucky enough never to have encountered the delights of chorizo in your life, let us enlighten you.
Chorizo is a type of sausage that originated in Spain and Portugal while many of its varieties exist today all across Latin America. When speaking of chorizo in Europe people usually refer to cured, dried sausage filled with paprika and some other spices.
However, the type that we’ll be dealing with in this article is Mexican chorizo which consists of raw meat and chilies and is similar to what Spaniards would call chorizo fresco (fresh chorizo). It is most commonly made from fatty pork, but beef, chicken, turkey, and even vegan versions can be found in certain supermarkets. The meat is minced, combined with a variety of spices (chili powder, garlic, salt, etc.) and put into sausage casings.
Besides cooking it with eggs, this food can be prepared and used in a number of different dishes such as tacos, burritos, tortas, refried beans, or even as a pizza topping.
How To Make Chorizo
If you’re not fortunate enough to be able to find chorizo where you live, then making some yourself is a pretty viable option. The process is quite simple, and the ingredients can be bought any supermarket so if you wish to give it a go, here’s how to do it:
● 2 pounds of ground pork
● 4 tablespoons of chili powder
● 2 tablespoons of oregano
● 2 tablespoons of paprika
● ½ teaspoon of garlic powder
● 1 teaspoon of cumin
● 1 teaspoon of salt
● 2 cloves of garlic
● A squirt of vinegar
1. Place the ground meat in a large bowl and add all the spices.
2. Mix thoroughly with your hands until all the ingredients are combined well.
3. Cook immediately or freeze in an airtight container for later use.
There is no need to buy casings and form actual sausages, but if you wish to do so go ahead.
How To Cook Chorizo And Eggs
If you didn’t know, it takes more than just two (obvious) ingredients to prepare chorizo and eggs. This breakfast food has many variations, and we are going to introduce you to a relatively healthy, vegetable-rich recipe that might easily become one of your main reasons for getting out
of bed in the morning.
● 400g of chorizo
● 5-6 eggs
● 1 onion
● 2 tomatoes
● 1 clove of garlic
● 1 tablespoon of olive oil
● A pinch of salt
● Fresh cilantro
1. Place the frying pan over medium heat and pour in the olive oil. Let it heat up.
2. Peel and chop the onions and throw them into the pan. Let them cook for about one minute.
3. Peel and finely chop the garlic, wash and chop the tomatoes and add them to the pan.
4. Let the vegetables cook for about 2-3 minutes. Don’t forget to stir!
5. Take out the chorizo from its casing and crumble it into the pan. Stir it around the pan with the vegetables and let it cook for about 5 minutes (until the fat has cooked off).
6. Crack the eggs into a bowl and beat them until you get a homogeneous substance.
7. Pour the eggs over the ingredients in the pan and stir occasionally. Make sure that the eggs don’t turn brown.
8. Remove the pan from the heat, sprinkle with salt and top with fresh cilantro.
Ideas For Serving
There is more than one way to serve this dish, and in this section, we will provide you with a few ideas on how to do this. There’s no need to do it the same every time and experimentation is highly encouraged.
Serve with warm tortillas – this is one of the most common and practical ways of serving this dish. Heat up some corn tortillas on in a pan, stack them on a plate and voila! You have yourself a filling meal.
Top with cheese – if you wish to add some more flavor, feel free to top this dish with your favorite, grated cheese while it’s still hot.
Use it as taco filling – there’s probably no other Mexican food as beloved as the taco, and yes, chorizo and eggs can be placed in a taco shell and enjoyed in this way too.
Serve along refried beans – beans are no stranger to Mexican cuisine. If you are a fan of the refried version of this fantastic legume, then try serving it along chorizo and eggs. We guarantee that the combination is fantastic.
In conclusion of today’s article, we hope that we left you with a hungry belly, mouth full of water, and a craving for some heavy, delicious, and absolutely amazing Mexican food. The great thing about chorizo and eggs is that the recipe is open to tweaks and changes, and there is an indefinite number of versions that you can try out. Also, it’s quick to make, and it is a breakfast that will leave you with a full stomach and a satisfied look on your face, ready to tackle the challenges of the day.